Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Second Amendment Debate

Today the Supreme Court of the United States heard an argument about the right to own handguns in Washington D.C. In terms of the rights of gun ownership I can only direct you to the Second Amendment itself.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I'm sorry but I just don't get it. I think that there should be absolutely no debate about this. The amendment clearly states that the "state" has the right to defend itself with an armed force while the "people" can own guns as well. I'll list the amendment one more time and notice the comma between the words state and the (the second comma).

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

This sentence was punctuated in a very clear manner. This is the most basic grammar we learn as children. Remember, the second listed of our ten basic rights is that of gun ownership.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I started to write a comment on this article but it kinda took on a life of it's own. So I turned it into a posting on my blog. You can view it by clicking here.