Friday, March 7, 2008

Who Said Voting Couldn’t Be Marginalized?

By: Jeremy Nayfa
As this election season drags on and gets more hairy in the Democratic primary I would like to make one point. If the Democratic Party awarded delegates to the winner and only the winner I feel like there wouldn’t be an issue right now. I ask everyone, am I wrong?

For the life of me I can’t understand why these contests award split pledged delegates and allow super delegates to play the type of role they do. Do these super delegates think they know better than the voters? It seems that way to me. In the simplest terms, a candidate with more wins and pledged delegates can lose because the super delegates supported a candidate with less. Does this make sense to anyone else? I get the whole tradition thing but seriously? It seems to me that it’s time to lie in the bed that was made.

There isn’t a simple fix right now. People on both sides are going to be pissed in some way and the party is going to suffer. Two weeks ago I thought that Barack Obama was going to run away with everything. If the Democrats aren’t careful they’re going to dash the hopes for November at the convention.

No comments: